Glucksman-Guzzo Architects, AIA was formed in the early 60’s when Salvatore Guzzo joined the late Harold Glucksman, FAIA. Harold had been practicing architecture in Newark, NJ with his father-in-law the late Adolf Wolf, AIA. Salvatore met the two architects after serving time in the Navy and attending drafting school on a GI bill.
Harold Glucksman attended New York University School of Architecture, was licensed in 1937 and continued practicing architecture for 60 years. Salvatore Guzzo graduated in 1958 from New York Institute of Design and Construction and continues practicing architecture full-time today.
Harold Glucksman and Salvatore Guzzo were very involved in architecture associations and committed to their profession. They both served as presidents of the Newark chapter of the New Jersey Society of Architects and were members of the New Jersey Regional Board of Architects.
Harold and Salvatore supported young architects offering them advice and employment. Harold encouraged the state of New Jersey to make it possible for young architects to obtain their education in the state by working hard to help establish NJIT as a well-respected institution for the study of architecture in New Jersey.
The office moved from Newark to Irvington and then to Union, New Jersey in 1995 to allow for greater client exposure and accessibility. The firm’s diverse work included public and private educational facilities, commercial and industrial buildings, religious buildings, banks, car dealerships, restaurants, country clubs and custom homes.
The diversity of projects spanning the firm’s history include:
– Shopping Centers throughout NJ, NY, PA and FL
– Food Markets: Shop Rite, Edwards, Stop & Shop, A&P, Pathmark and Kings
– Corporate projects: Mandees, TJ Maxx, Caldor, Filenes Basement and Capitol Lighting
– Car Dealerships: BMW, Nissan and Hyundai in Ramsey, NJ
– High school for Jewish Educational Center of Elizabeth, NJ
– Synagogue in Deal, NJ
In the late 1980’s Anthony Guzzo began working for the firm part-time while attending New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, NJ and then full-time in 1991 after graduation. He became a partner at Glucksman-Guzzo Architects, AIA in 1998.
Anthony added his unique design ideas and talents to the shopping center and supermarket work the firm was doing. He believed in using new technologies that were available to assist in the design and production of job drawings. Computers and software were new tools used by many on staff to produce work electronically.
The residential market, both single and multi-family homes were of particular interest to Anthony. He saw northern NJ’s need for new residential construction and residential renovation work increase and wanted to be part of it. Staff members were hired to grow the residential part of the firm.
In 2005 Glucksman-Guzzo Architects moved their offices to Lyndhurst to accommodate the growing business, further expansion into the residential market and returning Salvatore and Anthony to their local roots.
In May of 2007, Salvatore celebrated fifty years in architecture and was presented with a plaque for outstanding contribution to the field of Architecture and a portfolio biography of his work.
In 2007 the name of the firm changed to Guzzo + Guzzo Architects to reflect the two principals names – Salvatore and Anthony.
For over forty years Glucksman-Guzzo Architects, AIA designed hundreds of buildings, over 200 different types of retail stores and an endless list of building types. Countless supermarkets and shopping centers reflect their design style and standards. They have significantly contributed to the retail landscape of the New Jersey and it’s surrounding metropolitan area.
Note: Harold Glucksman scholarship – a scholarship fund was created in Harold Glucksman’s honor and named AAIANJ Glucksman Memorial Fund. For more information on this fund contact Robert Zaccone at 201-767-9575.